I like most foods … healthy foods, junk foods, fresh foods frozen foods, but I know some people, my mom included have a really hard time “enjoying” certain things.
My mom works a crazy job as an MRI tech balancing constant 16 hour swing shifts with no lunch break. She is good with meal prepping but doesn’t enjoy a lot of fatty foods. Recently I have been working with her to incorporate more nuts into her diet so she can reap all of the benefits from their healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. The only problem is she hates the consistency of nuts.
We have tried putting them in yogurt, in smoothies, etc. and while those both work for her, its fun to dress them up sometimes. Below is a recipe that is packed with nutrients. Remember, nuts are very nutrient dense (lots of calories and fat per serving) and so is this recipe! So, be sure to preparation them out so you don’t eat them all at once 🙂
Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 9 servings (2 x 1-inch balls/serving)
- 1 cup Medjool Dates, chopped and pitted
- 1 cup raw cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts or mixed nuts of choice
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds, hulled
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/8 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup oat flour (process raw oats to flour-like consistency)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (1/4c in recipe and 1/4c for rolling)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (*only needed if your batch is too dry)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend to desired consistency. We like keeping the pieces larger for a crunchier ball.
- When desired consistency is reached, form 1-inch balls then roll in the shredded coconut to coat (should make 18 balls total)
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze and thaw to enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (per 2 balls)
*Again, these are very nutrient-dense but pack a lot of nutrition and “punch” into every bite!
- Calories 250
- Total Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 50mg
- Carbohydrates 30g
- Sugars 15g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 8g