Clean Eating & KILLER RANCH DRESSING
(just kidding … keep reading)
If you haven’t been keeping up with the latest food trends over the past year or two, there has been lots of buzz around “clean eating”.
According to Clean Eating Magazine, clean eating is “consuming food in its most natural state, or as close to it as possible”
Essentially, it is about eating whole foods rather than processed foods.
Clean eating is not a diet, but it has gotten a lot of slack over these past few months (similar to every other health and fitness trend).
- Most of the controversy has circled around whether “whole foods” (apples, spinach, etc) are actually “clean” or not because so much food has been genetically modified (http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/) — that is another blog 🙂
Personally, cutting out processed foods makes sense to me. While I am not a religious “clean eater” most of my meal preferences have always been pretty “clean”.
At least for the past few years…
I am writing today to divulge a dirty little secret…
In my past life, I was addicted to Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (okay not addicted, but I ate it regularly)
Here are the sequence of events in my story…
- I was cleaning out my fridge this past weekend, and what did I find but a FOUR YEAR OLD BOTTLE OF HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH DRESSING (please do not judge). As I took out the bottle, I realized that it still looked eerily like ranch dressing.
- The curious side of me told me to smell it, and so I did, and it still smelled like ranch dressing.
- Next, I did it… I tasted just a bit of the ranch dressing and guess what – it STILL tasted like ranch dressing.
- Tasting it made me realize how good life was when I still smothered my salad in ranch as opposed to olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper, but that is beside the point … I was appalled at the number of preservatives and processed ingredients that bottle of salad dressing must have to keep it so fresh.
I am not one to bash food, choices, lifestyles etc.
But I do want to share my story to raise awareness about the foods that we eat. Ingesting chemicals and added ingredients cannot be good for us.
Stay healthy, make yourself & others happy, be kind, and keep moving 🙂