No bake cookies were a staple of my teenage years. Here is a healthy update on the classic favorite. These are perfect to use as a midmorning snack, post-workout mini-meal, or just a healthier alternative to cookies when your sweet tooth strikes! Best news: they take just 5-10 minutes to make!
- 1 cup gluten free (or regular) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup natural nut butter (look for ones w/o added sugar, salt, oil, etc.)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/8 cup ground flax seed
- 1/8 cup organic chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice (*optional)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate or carob chips (coarsely chopped)
- 1/3 cup local honey
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce or mashed banana
- Optional (more chocolatey version): 1/8 c dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- Tip: *You can play with the ingredients as long as you include the “staples” (oats, nut butter, and honey) which bind the energy balls
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl
2. Form into 1″ balls using a large spoon and your hands
3. Arrange on a plate or baking sheet and freeze until set (about 1 hour). This recipe should make about 12 x 1″ balls.
4. Enjoy (*can be consumed right away *should be stored in the refrigerator)
*Try adding in chopped nuts or dried fruit for a fun twist.
*If the protein bites are too dry (crumbly) add a little more nut butter, honey, or applesauce.
*If they are to wet (sticky) add some more rolled oats or coca powder.
Nutrition (*approximate per 1″ ball):
- Calories: 90 kcal
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 6g